[Watch Video] 1986 Thankamani incident

1986 Thankamani incident

The 1986 Thankamani Incident: Unraveling a Tragic Chapter in Kerala's History

The infamous "1986 Thankamani incident" originated from what seemed like a minor dispute over transportation services but swiftly escalated into a fierce clash between residents and law enforcement, exposing the fragility of civil liberties and the consequences of unchecked power.

Overview of the 1986 Thankamani Incident

In the annals of Kerala's history, the 1986 Thankamani incident stands out as a tragic episode that laid bare the vulnerability of fundamental rights and the repercussions of unrestrained authority. This incident unfolded in the remote village of Thankamani, nestled in the Idukki district of Kerala, India. What began as a seemingly inconsequential disagreement over transportation services evolved into a violent confrontation between the local population and the police, resulting in allegations of gross human rights violations that left a lasting impact on the region.

Thankamani, a serene hamlet in the picturesque Western Ghats, was a closely-knit community where life moved at a leisurely pace. However, the tranquility of the village was shattered when a longstanding issue regarding transportation services reached a boiling point. Due to poor road conditions, buses operated by private companies would often drop passengers short of their destination in Thankamani, forcing them to traverse the remaining distance despite paying the full fare. This inconvenience ignited tensions among the residents, particularly the students, and the bus operators.

The Trigger: Transportation Service Dispute Leading to the Thankamani Incident

The root cause of the 1986 Thankamani Incident can be traced back to a longstanding conflict between bus operators and the students of the village. The dilapidated state of the roads leading to Thankamani compelled bus drivers employed by private companies to disembark passengers at Paramada, a location approximately two kilometers from the village. Despite paying the full fare, commuters were required to cover the remaining distance—a situation that had been a source of frustration for the locals, especially the students, for years.

Escalation of Tensions in the 1986 Thankamani Incident

The involvement of the police in the transportation service dispute marked a turning point in the 1986 Thankamani Incident, escalating tensions to unprecedented levels. Devasya, the bus owner and a prominent political figure associated with the Kerala Congress party, sought the assistance of local law enforcement to retrieve his vehicle from the locals. This decision proved to be a catalyst for further conflict, as the arrival of the police on the scene only heightened the already volatile situation.

Police Crackdown on Thankamani on September 22, 1986

The events of September 22, 1986, in Thankamani would forever be etched in the collective memory of its people as a day of unimaginable loss and alleged human rights violations. In response to escalating tensions and resistance from the residents, authorities mobilized a large police force under the command of Circle Controller Thamban. Reinforcements were gathered from adjacent areas of the Idukki district, and the once-peaceful village found itself under siege by a heavily armed contingent of policemen.

As the sun rose on that fateful day, the police initiated a comprehensive crackdown on the village of Thankamani, conducting door-to-door searches and reportedly subjecting the inhabitants to brutal beatings. Eyewitness accounts from residents paint a grim picture of the unfolding scenario, with reports of indiscriminate violence and disregard for basic civil rights. The situation escalated further when the police allegedly began firing at unarmed civilians, resulting in a tragic loss of life, including the death of a 60-year-old resident, and numerous injuries.

Read Also : [Watch Video] Elvish Yadav viral Video on Twitter